Thick toenails or onychomycosis is a fungal infection that affects one in five in adults. It is mainly caused by a fungus or yeast entering your toenails. 
The dangerous places the yeast or fungus can enter your toenail are:
- Toenail cracks
- A skin cut that extends to your toenails
- The meeting place of nail bed and toenail
After settling on the moist nail bed, the yeast or fungus starts to grow. In time, your toenail will thicken.
Toenails are easily attacked by fungus or yeast or because they are always susceptible to wet surfaces which are ideal for bacteria, fungi, and yeast.
Some of the other factors that may cause thick toenails include:
- An underlying medical condition such as type 1 and 2 diabetes, psoriasis, and circulatory conditions
- Exposing your feet to wet areas such as bathrooms, swimming pools, etc.
- Damaged toenails
- Sweaty feet
- Feet-constricting shoes
The condition is highly prevalent in adults aged between 60 and 79 and rarely affects those under the age of 19.
Top 10 Thick Toenail Clippers
Toenail clippers can be a great way of effectively clipping toenails before they become ugly and uncomfortable. However, not every toenail clipper can do the job very well.
You need to find the best clipper to use otherwise you might make the situation worse. We have compiled the best bet 10 clippers for you to choose from.
1. Harperton Nail Clipper Set Fingernail and Toenail Clipper
This is a versatile clipper as it can be used for both toenails and fingernails. The nail clipper is manufactured by Harperton, a company dedicated to change the way you take care of yourself or others. This is reassuring as it allows us to trust them and their products.
The clipper is manufactured using quality surgical stainless steel that allowed the design of the clipper to be perfected with great precision.
The clipper was ergonomically designed so that it could fit seamlessly in your fingers and allow to clip easily.
The reinforced handles are not a coincidence. The purpose is to let you clip even the thickest of nails without applying too much effort. The clipping is just effortless.
What we like:
- It is durable as it was designed to last
- Sharpened blades to allow precision clipping
- It comes in several different sizes
- Lifetime warranty
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2AaT7lJ’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow”size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
2. Corewill Manicure Set Nail Clippers
Core will is in the business of selling beauty, health, baby, and personal care products. The clipper is made of stainless steel of high quality.
It is good to use it at home or when travelling. The clipper comes protected in a synthetic leather case.
- Can be used for home and travel use
- Made from stainless steel for durability
- Too sharp, can easily harm children
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2Ce0cnd’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
3. Revlon Toenail Clip
Revlon is a giant American cosmetic and Skincare multinational company formed in 1932 at the height of the Great Depression. The company’s headquarters are in New York. The company operates in over 100 countries worldwide
The curved blades allow you to easily trim your toenails. The clipper comes with a foldaway file that allows you to clean and smoothen under your nails.
The ergonomically contoured handle gives excellent comfort and control when using the clipper
- Has a foldaway file
- Ergonomic design
- Curved blades for easy trimming
- You can use the clipper with either hand due to its lever action
- Sharp blades for easy and effortless trimming
- Light and can easily break
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2AczTvP’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
4. Kohm KP-700 Toenail Clippers
This is one of the best toenail clippers you can find on the market. It is made using high-grade stainless steel to give extra strength and durability.
The heavy-duty clipper’s blades are can be extended by one inch in width so that you can cut thick toenails. The sharp blades with a pointy tip allow you to deal with ingrown toenails.
It is the 5-inch length of the clipper gives you the necessary strength and power to trim your toenails from your palm. The handle is designed to fit firmly in your palm while you do the trimming.
- Heavy duty clipper perfect for ingrown or thick nails
- The clipper’s jaws open up an extra inch in width to allow you to cut thick nails
- Easy and firm grip that does not allow the clipper to slip through your fingers
- Can be easily cleaned and sanitized
- Made of strong and durable high-quality stainless steel material
- Can be used to trim both fingernails and toenails
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2lL7CY7′ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
5. BESTOPE Nail Clippers Set Fingernail and Toenail Clipper Cutter
Bestope is well-known for stocking a range of quality beauty and personal care products.
This is quite a good clipper as it is suitable for both men and women. It is built of a sturdy zinc alloy stainless steel that makes it strong and durable.
It has an ergonomic shape that naturally follows the shape of the nails and makes the trimming process easier.
The sharp blades give a clean trim the first time. The precise and sharp trimming does not require much effort from you. The clipper was designed with your health in mind. It is suitable and ideal for thick nails.
- Made of strong and durable stainless steel
- Sharp blades to allow effective clipping
- Ergonomic design for effortless clipping
- Suitable for thick toenails
- Ideal for men and women
- Narrow clipper opening
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2Cge7Ju’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
6. Kohm CP-240L Toenail Clipper for Thick Nails
This clipper is ideal for straight cut toenails due to its shape straight shaped jaw opening. It helps to prevent ingrown toenails by cutting your nails straight and smooth. The extra wide jaw opening allows you more to cut your thick and ingrown toenails.
Its wide handle gives you a good grip of the clipper and prevents your fingers from slipping. The built-in file makes sure that you have all the tools you need in one place.
It is made using high-quality stainless steel. The stylish stainless steel can be easily cleaned with alcohol.
- Ergonomic and stylish design for improved grip
- Durable and attractive stainless steel frame
- Clipper and file built in one place
- Sharp blades that leave you with a clean and smooth trim
- Not suitable for those used to traditionally curved clipper jaws
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2EK22Ov’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
7. SEKI EDGE SS-107- Stainless Steel Toenail Clipper
Seki Edge is a Japanese company that manufactures beauty products such as men’s grooming kits, nail clippers, eyebrow tweezers, eyelash curlers, etc.
This popular toenail clipper has sharp edges in order to allow for a clean and smooth trim. The premium grade tempered stainless steel is durable and allows for precision in your trimming.
This is more than a toenail clipper. It is a mixture of Japanese craftsmanship and art.
- Durable tempered stainless steel
- Designed for professional use
- Clean and smooth trimming
- Easy to use
- It is suitable for people who prefer a curved clipper
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2qfeq5U’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
8. Professional Stainless Steel Toenail Clipper and Fingernails by QLL
This is a simple clipper that does its job brilliantly well. Its shape is similar to the Clippers that we know and love.
The sturdy top lever is the most interesting thing about the lever as it allows for a clean cut that does not leave a tear.
The clipper is great for the old, young, and disabled. The clipper’s grip works well even for those with weak hands.
- Clean cut
- Easy trim
- Sturdy lever that can be used effortlessly
- Ergonomic design
- Durable and easy to clean blades
- 4 pc clippers each with a different size
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2Cz1H2Y’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
9. Chooling Toenail Nipper
The Chooling toenail nipper was made for hard, ingrown, and thick toenails. It has premium quality stainless steel blades that make clipping as easy as possible. The clipper’s double springs give you a good grip and smooth trimming experience.
They clipper was designed to fit in the palm of your hand with ease. The slightly curved blades allow for a trim that as natural and easy as possible.
- Trim thick toenails with ease
- Curved handle for better grip
- Textured handles for added security
- Double springs so that they can quickly return to their normal position after a clip
- The jaws open to about half an inch
- Plier-like design enables you to trim thick toenails from any angle
- Very sharp blades
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2AbkYBW’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Review on Amazon[/thrive_link]
10. Equinox Heavy Duty Toenail Clippers
The Equinox heavy duty toenail clippers are suitable for home, salon, and podiatry offices due to the strength and durability.
The clippers were made of high-quality surgical steel. They are comfortable in the palm of your hands due to their ergonomic design.
The ergonomic design was intended to give you better and improved grip so that you can trim your nails with precision.
The sharp blades make it even to make clean cuts. You do not need to file your nails after the clipping because the sharp blades take of the business once and for all the first time.
They are suitable for both young and old. Most importantly, they trim thick toenails very well.
- Heavy duty
- Ergonomic design
- Sharp blades
- Improved grip
- No filing required after trimming
- Made using surgical stainless steel which can be cleaned after use
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’http://amzn.to/2Abaenp’ target=’_blank’ rel=”nofollow” size=’medium’ align=’aligncenter’]Check More Reviews on Amazon[/thrive_link]
How to choose the best toenail clippers?
As a consumer, you already know that there are a lot of toenail clipper brands for sale. Some of the brands are respected names that have been in the industry for years.
However, do not just fork out your hard earned money to buy a toenail clipper without knowing if it is the best one for you. Remember that you are looking for value for money.
An ideal clipper should be able to easily trim your toenails without any difficulties. Since you don’t want to make frequent trips to buy the same product, settle for something strong and durable.
Here are some of the tips to make sure that the clipper you want to buy is the right one.
A good clipper is made of high quality surgical stainless steel. This ensures that is strong and will last longer. It is also easy to clean after use by using alcohol.
The purpose of a blade is to cut and trim. Make sure that your preferred clipper is sharp enough to trim your toenail without requiring you to put a substantial amount of effort. If the blades are not sharp, you will have to do all the work by putting more effort into the trimming process
You need a clipper with thick jaws so that you can be able to cut thick toenails without any struggle.
The design of your toenail clipper is very important. You need to have a better grip on its handles whilst it comfortably rests in the palms of your hands.
Although not a requirement, there is also no need to buy an ugly looking clipper simply because it can get you the job done. You need to get a clipper that mixes beauty with functionality.
How to cut thickened toenails?
Thickened toenails can be frustrating and uncomfortable. Even when trimming them, you need to be very careful in order not cause yourself some pain or discomfort. You are sure to get things right if you follow these steps:
Prepare your toenails
- Make sure you have your clippers ready
- Use warm water to soak your feet – this helps in softening the toenails
- Dry the toenails using a towel
- It is best to start trimming the corners of the toenails.
- Do not try to clip the nails at once. Small cuts are the best way to go
- Clip your entire toenail in small cuts
Finishing the trim
- Take the time to check if you have trimmed yourself correctly
- Use a nail file to file your toenail edges
- Dispose of the clipped nails
[thrive_text_block color=”light” ]Thickened toenails are not pleasant. However, having the right tool to trim them regularly and comfortably will go a long way in ensuring that they don’t have a negative effect on your life. Take your time to choose the best clipper for you.[/thrive_text_block]
 Fungal nail infection Overview by NHS UK. Ref: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fungal-nail-infection/
 Muth, C. C. (2017, February 7). Fungal nail infection. JAMA, 317(5), 546. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.20617